I’m always looking for new, quick & easy recipes that will suit both my vegetarian and Jason’s omnivore diets. We always get vegetable fried rice in our Chinese takeout so when I saw this healthy version I had to try it. It is delicious and takes no time at all to make AND it tastes even better the next day. This is a huge bonus for us because it is a leftover I will actually eat.
This version uses eggs, which you can skip if you are Vegan. We paired Jason’s with a Baked Sesame & Teriyaki Chicken Breast.
This recipe was based on Eat Yourself Skinny’s Healthy Cauliflower Fried Rice.
Cauliflower Fried "Rice"
- ½ head of Cauliflower (about 2 cups)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup peas
- ½ cup leeks or onion, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3 large cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Chop cauliflower into florets and pulse in blender/food processor and set aside. (I use a Ninja blender which I highly recommend!)
- Heat up wok or large frying pan on medium and add sesame oil.
- Add leeks (or onion) and saute for 2 min.
- Then add carrots, peas and mushrooms and saute until tender, about 2 min.
- Mix together soy sauce, brown sugar and chili powder and set aside
- Clear veggie mix to one side of the pan and scramble eggs.
- Once firm, mix eggs in with veggies.
- Stir in cauliflower and soy sauce mixture, making sure everything is coated.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 3-5 min.
- Mix in bean sprouts and cook for 2 more minutes.
*For Jason I added a Baked Teriyaki Chicken Breast.
-Preheat oven to 375 C
-Brush chicken breast with sesame oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and then cover with Teriyaki sauce to your taste.
-Bake for 30 min
I’ve been cooking a lot more, now that I’m settled into the new place and my kitchen is fully unpacked, and I decided to introduce a new weekly post on the carlyanne.com blog called “Monday Munchies”. The recipes will be mostly vegetarian, but please note that I do eat dairy & eggs. I’ll make sure to tag which ones are completely Vegan.
You may have noticed that some of my older blog posts are MIA, this includes some of the yummy veggie recipes I shared. I’ll be re-creating the recipe posts and they will be included in future Monday Munchies posts.
To start us off I’ve made a Southern Style Potato Salad, approved by a real Florida boy 🙂
I based my recipe on Southern Potato Salad By: S0NGLADY and made it my own.
SOUTHERN STYLE POTATO SALAD
- 2 large potatoes (makes 4 servings)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp sweet relish
- 1 tbsp President’s Choice Dijon Mayo
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1/2 clove of garlic, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- paprika to garnish
- Chop potatoes into similarly sized pieces. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt, pepper and potatoes and cook for approx 10 minutes until tender, but firm. Strain and place in glass bowl
- In another pot, hard boil eggs for 10 minutes, drain and fill pot with cold water. Leave eggs in here to cool while making your sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the mayo, sour cream, sweet relish, dijon mayo, mustard, Frank’s, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Gently fold potatoes into mixture
- Chop eggs and toss into salad
- Serve warm or refrigerate for 1 hour and serve cold.