On Sunday night I made my first Mason Jar Salad for lunch. I used this “anatomy of a mason jar salad from The Two Bit Club” to figure out how to layer the ingredients properly and it took me about 20 minutes to make in total (including making the dressing, boiling & shucking corn-on-the-cob and quinoa).
I’m trying to eat healthier at lunchtime and to bring my own lunches from home, instead of going out to buy lunch every day.
I was curious to see how it all poured out into a bowl and if the salad would be edible the next day or if the veggies were soggy & wilted.
Well, here’s what it looked like on Monday at 12pm. This is a photo of the salad literally how it poured out of the jar.
Looks pretty delicious to me!
I was pretty impressed with how well this worked. My one tip is to make sure you use a Mason Jar that has a big mouth – the one that I used is smaller at the mouth and a wider jar. Just meant that I had to use my fork to get the greens out at the beginning but otherwise it all poured out super easily.
The veggies were still fresh and crunchy and didn’t soak up too much of the dressing and the lettuce & radicchio was crisp and not wilted. It was a quick and easy lunch and I will continue to make them.
In this salad I had:
- Carly-Anne’s Creamy Poppyseed Dressing – recipe to be posted this week
- Red Radishes
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Peaches & Cream Corn (from the cob)
- PC Organic Black & White Quinoa
- Baby Spinach
Let me know if you make a Mason Jar Salad and feel free to share your photos or recipes in the comments!
Today, January 06, 2015, Finnegan Fairlie turns 2 years old. It’s hard to believe that our little puppy is now a 105lb guy.
We’ve had lots of adventures with Finn since we’ve had him. From the first ride home where he slept on my shoulders, to meeting Harley for the first time, going on road trips with me to visit Rhianne & Lyla at the cottage, up to Muskoka to play with Casie & Sean, to Viamede Resort for a long weekend and staying with Gramma & Grampa over the Christmas break.
Finn has brought a lot of joy and happiness into our lives along with extra animal hair, wet doggy kisses, ruined shoes, books, iPhone cords, chewed baseboard & drywall (don’t tell the landlord!) to tearing apart the “dog cupboard”.
Over the past 2 weeks Finn has started to behave a little better (calmer) and he has been the best shoulder to cry on for this girl.
Finnegan, I know you can’t read (but hopefully your dad will read this to you today), but I wanted to write this post to say, since the moment I first saw your cute little puppy face I’ve loved you immensely and we are so lucky to have such a wonderful addition to our little family.
The Birthday Puppy today, Jan 06, 2015.
Happy Birthday Baby Dog!!
It’s Monday, January 05 and the first day back to work for me since December 19. I was up super early this morning (6:30am) to get to the office early so I can have a good start to this day, week & year. It was a bittersweet morning and the first time I’ve gotten up and ready by myself without my little cat shadow, but c’est la vie.
My first selfie of 2015
Yesterday I made my first mason jar salad lunch and it looks absolutely delicious. I’m excited to crack open this new year and put together some more goals for my business life. I’m really looking forward to what 2015 will manifest for me and I hope you feel ready to leave the past behind and grab life by the horns.
Like my lovely friend Casie always says “you will never be younger than you are right now”.
Carpe Diem my loves!
Ahhhh… My first Show & Tell of the year and I’ve been looking forward to writing it. I stayed up way too late last night, working on my 2015 Blog Planner. I LOVE making things from scratch and it’s the first project I’m doing on my new MacbookPro. Yup. I finally upgraded my computer and bought myself a birthday present this year.
Jason and Finn surprised me with a Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Cake and the full family birthday song (if you’ve ever been around my family on a birthday then you know what I mean, the extended version with 3 extra verses). It’s been a bittersweet start to the year without my Harley, but my sister said something to me that has made it a little easier.
“When a pet passes away, they go off to play and chase birds and do all the things they ever wanted to do. Then, when they’ve had enough fun, they come home to you, curl up in your heart and stay forever.”
I know, it’s sweet and sad and I’m sorry if you’ve teared up. I thought it was worth sharing because I know most people have gone through this or will if they have a pet.
Ok, enough sad stuff. Life is good. It’s the start of a brand new year and I’m still on vacation until Monday. I’ve tried to stay off of social media, computer, internet and devices this month, so here’s a short & sweet Show & Tell to kick off 2015!
- Today is Day 1 of the Yoga With Adriene #30DaysofYoga challenge. I’m writing this post and then doing my first video. You should join in!
- Have you checked out your horoscope for 2015 yet? I love reading horoscopes and find that with a head up on the potential of each month, week or day, then I can make the most of it. My favourite sites are: Mystic Medusa (paid site, but well worth the $59 for a yearly subscription); AstrologyZone by Susan Miller is another of the best sites (sending well wishes, light & love to Susan as she has been under the weather) and finally the AstroTwins, Ophira & Tali.
- I don’t like making New Years’ Resolutions. I find that it’s too much pressure and I usually forget about them. So I set New Year’s Goals for myself and write them down to keep me on track. This year I’m also toying with the idea of making a “vision board” or something similar to put my goals front and center. There are some really great examples of vision boards HERE.
- I read this interesting post by Mashable last night “13 Unsolved Mysteries That Still Need Answers in 2015“.
- I read “50 Things I Want For My Little Sister” and have to share it. I wish these things for my amazing, caring, best friend of a sister and for my brother too. And this one, “23 Things That Only Sisters Understand“, because ugh.
- I’ll leave you with my favourite song of the year Hozier’s Take Me To Church – this version has a secret choir in the audience, surprising him by singing harmony. So beautiful and powerful.
♥ Happy New Year! ♥
I ended up having a pretty fun evening and am ready to kick off 2015 with a bang. I’m a Capricorn and pretty true to my sign, so this means I’m getting even more organized in my life, to make this year as good and productive as possible.
I love having my birthday January 01, because it feels like I get a real fresh start every year. I want to make the most of 2015 and have been working on few goal ideas over the Christmas break. I like to set goals every year instead of making resolutions, because it feels more concrete. I like to think that putting it out there for the world to see will keep me on track.
So for 2015, I’ve got the following goals:
- Put together a blog planner/organizer (I’ve almost got it ready to print) and get myself back on a regular blog scheduled. This is something I’ve said and written so many times since 2010. But this year I’m challenging myself to writing a new post every Monday to Friday and take the weekends off.
- Get on a regular Yoga schedule – I shared the Yoga With Adriene video earlier this year. Well she’s put together a FREE, 30 Days of Yoga challenge to get you started. It’s a video a day, built for all levels and the point is to empower you start regular yoga practice. She shared the first video “Start Here” today and the challenge begins tomorrow, Jan 02, 2015 if you want to join in!
- Weekend Digital Detox – I want to disconnect as much as possible on the weekends. Take a break from blogging, social media, email and my iPhone. This is going to be a hard one to do, but I was “ON” 355 days last year and it took it’s toll by the time the holidays came around. I don’t want to burn out and I feel like with my busy life I’m always attached and available.
- Eating healthy, making meals and food from scratch and being less wasteful with food. I’ve been getting Front Door Organics produce delivery for the past year or so and we love it. We get the Ontario box in summer and a Medium Brood box the rest of the year. I got a Breadman Breadmaker from Jason for Christmas and a KitchenAid Stand Mixer from Mom & Dad so I plan to make our bread instead of buying and cut down our groceries to dairy and dried goods purchases.
- Read 1 new book per month – I’m an avid reader and tend to re-read my favourites. I’d love recommendations on new books to try if anyone has one, and am going to start something new today.
- Take time out for me. Whether it’s to get my nails done, have a massage, a bath or just go out for a walk, I need to take some time to clear my head from the stress of everyday life, relax and refocus.
Thank you to everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday today. It’s been a weird few days and I really appreciate everyone who has reached out.
Wishing you light, love and adventures in 2015!