I was recently turned on to beets by Aime, when I helped her make a delicious salad for a family BBQ this summer. I’ve been perfecting my own recipe and last night I think I did it.
BEET SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND BALSAMIC REDUCTION
1/2 cup balsamic vinegrette
1 clove garlic, chopped
3 fresh beets
1/4 cup herbed goat cheese
2 leaves fresh basil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut stalks off of beets and put in pot whole. Cover beets with water and bring to a rolling boil. Boil beets for 1 hour or until soft, you may have to add water to keep them covered.
- In another pot add 1/2 cup balsamic vinagrette & chopped garlic. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until mixture is a little syrupy (very technical terms, I know!)
- Once beets are done, remove skin – it should peel right off like a soft onion skin
NOTE: If you are using bare hands wash them between beets or you’ll be stained red!
- Chop beets into even pieces and put in bowl
- Add olive oil & balsamic reduction and mix well
- Add fresh, chopped basil leaves and mix well
- Top with herbed goat cheese (President’s Choice Herbed Goat Cheese is my favourite)
- Serve warm or chill in refrigerator over night
The best part about this salad is that it is great served fresh & warm or chilled. I brought some for my lunch today and it was DELICIOUS!
Please let me know if you try this recipe or make any variations.