Today is the official start of 2018 for me. We spent the past few weeks in Florida visiting family and enjoying the beginning of the year and I did absolutely nothing but enjoy myself. It’s the first time I’ve had a vacation in years where I didn’t have to work (yay mat leave) and there was nothing that needed taking care of. But now that we’re back to reality I’m really excited to get on with it!
2017 was a whirlwind of a year. I started it off with
morning all-day sickness (that lasted until Abigail was born) and was a pretty miserable person to be around because of it. I also didn’t feel like myself and had a hard time envisioning life as a Mom – and when I say hard time, I really do mean it. Wrapping my head around leaving my career – for up to 18 months – after a fantastic 2016 that included a promotion, to being a full-time mother was a real challenge for me.
Fast forward to January 2018 and my little bean is 4 months old, growing and learning every day and I can’t imagine life without her!
Last year I didn’t set any goals or make any plans and it felt like I was blowing in the wind without any direction, which was hard for this Capricorn who loves lists and planning and schedules and organization.
But 2018 is already shaping up to be an adventurous new year and I can’t wait to see what it brings. And of course, I’ve got a whole pile of goals for myself this year and it all starts today!
- Get back to blogging regularly and create at least 1 post per week
- Get in shape and lose this baby weight! It took me 9 months to put it on, so I’m giving myself 9 months to get it off – and for my birthday bought the 9 month membership to Toronto Yoga Mamas to help me get there, starting February 1st.
- Update my skin care regime. I have been a Pure + Simple user since 2010, but last year I ran out of product and started using whatever I was given in my ipsy* and FabFitFun* boxes. My skin has been pretty good but I’m noticing postpartum that EVERYTHING has changed, so I need to get back to my Pure + Simple routine.
- Start and stick to Weekly Meal Planning so we order less takeout and make more dinners at home – and healthy dinners at that! We’ve got a chalkboard calendar and a Pinterest board full of delicious ideas so all I need to do is get my butt in gear.
- Spend less time with a screen – be it watching TV or spending time on my iPad/phone, I’d like to spend more time doing things and going places instead.
- Plan and take 2 vacations. 1 honeymoon vacation for just Jason & I (we still haven’t done this!) and 1 family vacation with Abigail & Finn.
- Use all the features for my Day Designer* (day planner). There are so many goal setting, weekly and monthly planning, organizing and monthly challenges from the Day Designer community and I’d like to use as many as I can.
- Spend more time with friends & family!
- Organize and declutter my life – trying to move towards a more simple and minimalist household.
- Try to downsize my wardrobe to a capsule collection (or at least one for each season!).
Happy New Year!
P.S.* links that are starred are affiliate links
I am a person who likes (and needs) to plan, organize and write down my days and life. Last year I went on the hunt for the perfect day planner for my needs and after trying out a few different ones, I finally found the Day Designer.
It has been a great planner for me. I love the day-per-page layout, goal setting worksheets and daily gratitude. The community and inspiration that comes along with Day Designer has also been a pretty great resource as well. Each month they share free downloadable pages and challenges. You saw that I posted about the “Daily Gratitude Challenge” last month, which I actually completed, and it was a great exercise to take a step back and think about things I’m lucky to have in my life.
I’ve just purchased my 2017 Day Designer and got the brand new 2017 Mini Edition in the Pink Painterly Stripe, Belle & Blush exclusive edition design. It was a very hard decision between this one and the black & white striped cover that I had last year. Like seriously I had to ask a few of my work friends which one to choose!
I’m super excited for this to arrive so I can begin planning for 2017. I’ve got some dreams spinning around in my head that I need to get sorted out and written down.
Because I love the Day Designer so much, I signed up to be an affiliate, so if you’re looking for a great new planner and click through from my blog link to purchase from their site, I get a little something back.
I love setting New Years Goals. and as a January 1st baby, it’s the perfect time for me to take stock of the past year, check off any milestones and revamp my goals for the following year. I like to write them down to keep me accountable and to keep the memory of what I think is important each year. Here are my 2011, 2013 & 2015 goal posts – you’ll notice a theme throughout of being healthier and more active, getting better organized and blogging!
Here are my goals (in no order of importance) for 2016.
- Do a better job at writing memories for our Memory Jar
- You may remember my Memory Jar post – since Jan 2013 Jason & I write down memories, put them in a jar and read each New Year. Well in 2015 we didn’t do a very good job of keeping it up – we only had 4 each to read – but we did a “Wedding Memory Jar” to open on our 1 year anniversary.
- Start and stick to a fitness routine
- I have 2 daily exercise routines pinned to my bulletin board (here and here) and I’d like to do them each weekday morning.
- I’ve also signed up to a new Yoga With Adrienne Challenge – Yoga Camp and her 30 Days of Yoga is also a great challenge to get you in the habit
- I’ve also downloaded the SworkIt app, which was a recco from Amber Mac
- Make and use a Home Organizer board
- I found this one on Pinterest from Girl Loves Glam and am going to keep our lives on track!
- Eat cleaner & healthier
- As a vegetarian I’m a fairly healthy eater, but I do eat way too much bread and cheese. It’s also a challenge to make healthy dinners during the week when Jason is working so I’d like to create a weekly menus, and shopping list.
- We still get our bi-weekly organic produce delivery from Front Door Organics and it’s a great way to keep stocked up on fresh fruits and veggies in the winter. Plus they send you healthy recipes with each box. I even got it for my parents for Christmas this year.
- **If you would like to try out Front Door Organics, they currently have a 40% off your first Fresh Box on. Please put “Carly-Anne Fairlie” in the referral field if you sign up.**
- Get finances organized
- Since we’ve been married, I’m largely in charge of our finances and set up all of our joint bills to auto withdrawal from our joint account. This was a great idea until the holidays – so I need review it.
- We need to review and update our budget – I purchased the Gail Val Oxidaze budget planner a couple years ago and it was a HUGE help. We don’t use the “cash jars” though. I hate carrying money!
- Set up monthly savings plan for personal & joint savings.
- Get/create new daily planner!
- I love day planners, to do lists, goals and really anything that allows me to write down what I need to do. I have had a bunch of different planners over the years (from the Staples Daily Planner to Filofax Personal and Moleskin Colour-A-Month) but this year I really need something customizable. So I ordered the Happy Planner and have been pinning ideas for custom page inserts.
- Create a blog calendar
- I have been a bad blog girl and with a busy home/work life I find that my blog gets neglected. This year I want to created a blog calendar/weekly planner to get myself back on track.
- This is another reason why I need a custom day planner!
- Update blog design
- I also need a complete overhaul & refresh of this blog. I know how I want it to look in my head, so this year it’s time to educate myself on how to create it!
- Take a Web or Graphic Design Online Course
- And maybe look into something like Ladies Learning Code.
- Start sewing & knitting again!
- I used to sew all the time. I’ve made pants, dresses, skirts & scarves in the past, but haven’t done anything but sew buttons (ha!) for the past few years.
- I’m going to put together a monthly or bi-monthly project list so I can make some key wardrobe staples.
- Schedule friend dates.
- I am terrible at keeping up with my friends. It’s not that I don’t love you (because I really, really do!), but my work life is uber busy & scheduled – I talk on the phone with or meet people in person all day. It’s no excuse, but at the end of the day the last thing I think about is making plans. So I’m going to pick 1 day a week (or every 2 weeks/1 month) and have a lunch, drinks or dinner date with friends.
It’s a big list for 2016, but I am ready to take on the world!
Happy Goal Setting 🙂
P.S. Don’t forget to enter to win 1 of 4 Birthday Gifts. Winners will be chosen this Fri Jan 08, 2016.
Coraline the Jungle Kitten
Now that we are halfway into January it is time for me to compile my list of goals or resolutions for 2013. I’ve been thinking hard over the past two weeks on what I want to accomplish, both personally & professionally and I feel good about the ones I’ve decided.
Do you make resolutions? If so, do you stick to them? Are they attainable?
Carly-Anne’s 2013 Resolutions
- Eat a healthier, more balanced diet – as a vegetarian I don’t eat meat but occasionally I’ll eat seafood (mostly in FMB). This year I’d like to expand my vegetarian cooking repetoire and prepare more balanced and healthy meals for myself & Jason. I’d also like to try to eat local and organic as much as possible and have signed up to test out Toronto’s produce delivery services (more info to come!). When buying meat for my man we typically go to our local butcher Meat On The Beach where all the meats are sourced from local farmers.
- Excercise – I have had a Yoga mat for years and have taken 1 class in my life. You wouldn’t believe it, but I am the heaviest that I have ever been in my life – 11 lbs more than I’ve ever been – and on a small frame like mine it is just unhealthy. I want to find a great Yoga class – one with not a lot of people and either close to home or work – and go at least 2x/week. I’d also like to take some dance classes or something cardio-ish and this summer I’d like to get another bike (mine was stolen) and ride it more often. I’m not a runner, though I hear it is a great thing to do – but walking the boardwalk a few nights a week would also be great. I would also love to get back on a horse. It has been years since I’ve ridden and the last time was on my beloved POA Breeze (may she rest in peace).
- Blog more often – I used to blog pretty consistently when I worked from home but since my situation changed a couple years ago it has been pretty infrequent. I have tons of draft posts that get started and not finished and my Show & Tell has been pretty inconsistent as well. I’m not going to write on a set schedule but I’d like to increase my frequency so there are at least 3 posts/week. I’d also like to run more contests – ideally 2x/month – because I LOVE giving stuff away to you guys!
- Travel – I have been to England, across Canada & to quite a few US states but I have NEVER been on an all-inclusive beach vacation. I am DYING to get away, somewhere exotic and warm, with my amazing man and this year I want to actually plan and take a real vacation. The only place we can’t go is Cuba (my man is American) and I’d love to hear your favourite vacation spots or recommendations. I’m thinking 4-5 stars, luxury, adults only and if I can ride a horse on the beach that would be amazing.
- Work wise – this year I’d like to strengthen by business development skills and bring in a few clients of my own. My goal is for at least 1 but I am obviously open to more (and referrals are more than welcome). I want to exceed my yearly target by at least 25% and try to have each role I am working on be filled with a candidate that I bring to the table.
- Education – I love to learn and grow my skillset and knowledge but am not a person that can sit in class & learn. I just can’t concentrate or pay attention to someone who is teaching by talking. I learn best working on my own and reading it for myself. This year I’d like to get back into an online course or 2 and am thinking about taking either more PR, business or HR courses.
- Giving back to my community – I would like to get involved with a charity or not for profit and donate time and energy to improving my community and the people in it.
- Public Speaking – For the past 3 years I have sat on a panel at COLS talking about being responsible online. Last year I did a presentation to PR students at Centennial College. I would love to increase the number of speaking engagements that I do and create a speaker/presenter profile for myself.
- Finances – I have basically lived paycheque to paycheque forever. This year I want to actually SAVE money and be completely on top of my finances. I’ve been using Mint for the past few months to get myself organized and on budget (which is AMAZING and you should try it out) and it’s been helping me to get in shape and track where I’m spending/wasting money.
- DIY – I’ve had a sewing machine for a few years and have made some wearable items and this year I’d like to try and make 1 thing per month. I’d like to be more of a DIY girl and make as many things as I can, including gifts for people. Jason sent me a really cool idea to write down memories throughout the year and put them in a jar. At the end of the year you can read all of the things you’ve written and we started it when we got back from Florida.
- Be environmentally friendly – I wrote about this already this year but I am going to try to reduce my waste as much as possible. I’d like to buy in bulk, use paper instead of plastic and recycle as much as I can. I’ve always been pretty good at this but in 2013 I want to step it up and inspire others around me to make the change as well. Suggestions are always welcome!
That’s all I’ve decided on so far. I might add to the list as the year goes on, but I feel that these are all things that I have been wanting to do and they are all attainable. I’ll follow up with progress of course and I’d love to hear if you make any resolutions as well.
Happy New Year and Cheers to 2013!!