Last weekend Kristin, Kyle Jason & I had a family trip to the Leslieville Farmers Market. We got lots of fresh, local produce, eggs, a baguette and a tasty gluten free peanut butter nanaimo bar. I was pretty excited to get home and start cooking.
I turned this mix of fruit & vegetables into a delicious soup (veggie & meatatarian versions) and jam!
You may have seen on my Twitter feed at the beginning of August I won a Bernardin Home Canning Starter Kit from Now Magazine. I finally picked it up at the end of August and with my trip to the farmer’s market I was finally ready to test my jamming skills.
The boys favourite joke this week… “Do you know the difference between jam and jelly?”
Please note that I used 2 small jars (= to 1 large mason jar) for this jam.
STRAWBERRY BLUEBERRY JAM
- 1 qt strawberries
- 1 qt blueberries
- 1/4 bag of pectin
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Cut stems off strawberries and mash them with a potato masher
- Make sure all stems are removed and mash blueberries
- Add berry mix to stainless steel pot
- Stir in sugar & pectin and bring to a boil.
- Cook on high heat for 10 minutes
- Follow directions for home canning starter kit
- Wash & clean jars
- Submerge glass jar in Canner (or large pot)
- Boil for 10 minutes
- Heat lid in hot water for 2 minutes – NOT BOILING
- Empty water out of glass jar
- Add jam to glass jar = about 1/4″ from top of jar
- Put on lid
- Submerge in Canner (or large pot)
- Repeat per jar
- Boil on high for 10 minutes
- Remove from water and cool for 24 hours – keep jar steady, do not shake
- With the leftover jam mixture I made Sundaes for Jason and I. SOOO GOOD