I’ve been on my own for the past 5 days because Jason went away with the boys for a camping trip for his birthday. It’s been a little lonely here by myself but I had a lot of time to think, reflect and get a pile of work done. I’m getting organized to move back to Toronto for the next few months and there is an awful lot to sort out. I’ve been pretty happy being here and am looking forward to getting back to the city life for the next little while. Summer is always so much fun in Toronto and I definitely don’t want to miss out!
Yesterday I had a beach/shopping day to myself and it was pretty nice. I drove down to eat at the Boardwalk Cafe and had a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, potatoes and raisin toast. Eating at Boardwalk aka Sandy’s is like going to your mom’s house for breakfast. They don’t have a fryer so everything is baked in the oven. I’ll have to do a proper review before I leave here. After eating I walked down the beach to see Jason’s mother at The Beached Whale and had a couple of beers and chatted with her and a couple of gentlemen from Scotland. One of them was on vacation and had taken his kids to Disney earlier in the week. They went to the Harry Potter exhibit and he showed me video footage of Hogsmeade and Hogwarts. I am DYING to go to see this. PLEASE SOMEONE TAKE ME!!! Then I walked back down the beach to the touristy shops to get a towel and new flip flops. I didn’t want to spend a ton of money and I actually found the cutest black flip flops with multi-coloured sequins on them for $8! I also got myself a Florida beach towel as a souvenir. It cost $10 so I did pretty good. After shopping I walked back to the truck to meet my friend Kathy for more drinks. She drove us to the Beach Pub and we had a beer and chat and then I she drove me home and I layed in bed watching movies with Harley til bedtime. Pretty awesome day.
Now on to Show & Tell:
- I found this awesome site that has private islands for sale. I would love to have my own island. There’s one for sale in Muskoka (that’s in Ontario, Canada) but my favourite is Kakula Island. Anyone want to buy it for me?
- One of the newest blogs in my reader is Thought Catalouge. I love the writing and the articles are pretty interesting – check out 10 Reasons to Quit Smoking (According to Cartoons)
- I had never heard of making anything in a coffee maker but coffee, but after reading 10 Foods You Can Allegedly Make in a Coffee Maker I had to share. This might be helpful to anyone who is moving out on their own or going to school. I would love to know if anyone has ever tried this before or if you try and make anything let me know how it turns out!
- Matthew Paris, a 60 year old journalist, wrote a great piece for the Sunday Times called 50 Practical Tips to Save You Half a Lifetime – which is basically a list of things he would tell his 16 year old self. I’ve started compiling a list of things and if you have any to add, please leave it in the comments.
- A Canadian high school student, 11th grader Daniel Burd discovered a way to make plastic bags degrade in as little as three months which won him first prize at a Canada-Wide Science Fair, a $20,000 scholarship, and a chance to revolutionize a major environmental issue. What I want to know is have we put this discovery to use?
- Have you voted for my friend Shawn Hawaii in the BMW Ultimate Blogger Competition? You can vote once a day to help him get his dream job. And if he wins he will give me a ride in his BMW so help a girl out!
- This one is for Dad & Kyle –> Banish Up to 350 Extra Calories a Day by Tapping Your Foot they both make the whole house shake when their legs go. I have this trait as well, but not nearly as bad.
- Readprint.com is a free online books library for students, teachers, and the classic enthusiast. I’m a big reader and really want to get an iPad or Kindle to load all my books into. I read constantly and it’s been hard to have all of my paperback books in storage and only have a choice of 1 or 2.
- I am absolutely dying to visit Paris. I hope to go to Europe and travel in the next two years. Until then I can look at this gorgeous panorama view of Paris from above the Eiffel Tower
- Do you know what your Birthday Tree says about you? My b-day is Jan 1 and my tree is an Apple Tree. I think mine is pretty accurate. What about yours?
“APPLE TREE (the Love) – of slight build, lots of charm, appeal, and attraction, pleasant aura, flirtatious, adventurous, sensitive, always in love, wants to love and be loved, faithful and tender partner, very generous, scientific talents, lives for today, a carefree philosopher with imagination.”
- Currybomb posted this on FB yesterday and it is hilarious.
I’m going shopping this afternoon for some new Summer clothes and here is my Wish List so far
Dresses knit dress, $40
Eyelet dress, $45
Sleeveless dress, $45
Mix Match bikini bathing suit, $33
Bandeau swimwear, $25
dELiAs > Underwire Retro Balconet Top >, $25
Flip flop, $9.50
Flip flop, $9.50
Amazon.com: TAN WHITE 8″ WIDE LARGE BRIM STRAW BEACH SUN FLOPPY HAT:…, $25
Amazon.com: Steve Madden Women’s S1047 Oval Sunglasses: Clothing, $31
A few weeks ago Jason and I borrowed his friend Dawn’s boat and we went yachting for our Saturday Date. We spent the day on the water and drove around our whole island (Estero Island). We stopped for rum runners and then I got to drive all the way around Black Island. It was my first time ever driving a boat, and on the ocean at that! I was a little scared but got the hang of it pretty fast. Jason is a really good teacher and he really knows his stuff about boats and the ocean. I am constantly pointing at thinks and asking “What’s that?”
Huge bruise courtesy of CMW
This is one end of our street, the other end is the Gulf of Mexico
A sailboat I love
Out on the Gulf of Mexico
Our spot at Lovers Key
Me driving the boat
Driving home, end of the day
It was a beautiful day and one of the best dates I’ve been on. Glad we got to spend the time together and thank you very much to Dawn for letting us use the boat!
For the full photo gallery click HERE
This has been a pretty interesting week. Had my Kathryn come for a visit with her man Andrew and they left early Wed morning. Had some great beach time and lots of work time, brainstorming to take over the world :) It was so nice to have one of my friends come down for a visit. The rest of you should get your butts here before I’m back in TO for Spring/Summer. We’ve got room for you
- O’Nizzle has been posting gems on Twitter/FB and this one made me LOL – The 10 best obnoxious responses to misspellings on Facebook.
- Speaking of O’Nizzle, SheDoesTheCity just did a profile on the lovely Lauren O’Neil – if you don’t already follow her/read her blog, you better jump on board quick. I’ve had the pleasure of hanging and working with this girls since she hit the city last year and I definitely <3 her
- Why is predicting the future so hard? In the year 2011 we were expected to drive flying cars, have hoverboards and jetpacks and our fashion definitely wasn’t a reinterpretation of the 80′s & 90′s. Johnny Holland Magazine has a great article called This Ain’t Your Parents Future that’s worth a read.
- I’m not so much thinking of retirement, but places where I can travel to and live for a while inexpensively. Still a good post to share 9 Places Where You Can Retire and Live Like a King
- Ever go to a bar and are not sure what kind of beer to drink? Here’s a handy guide to help you out “What Beer Should I Drink”
- Thought this was funny since I’ve been in the US off and on for the past few months – What Is Your State Worst At
- I love horses and ponies of all kinds (since I was a little kid) and this video showing a Mini named Midnight, that was neglected by his previous owners, get a new lease on life by getting a prosthetic leg made me tear up.
- Another funny clip that I saw first on HLN News last week – Christian women in Texas are Pole Dancing for Jesus – it’s funny how putting “For Jesus” in the title makes it ok in their minds. I wonder if “Same-Sex Marriage for Jesus” would be as acceptable? Oh, and I have nothing against pole dancing or Christians.
- Design student Andrew Kim has redesigned the iconic Coke bottle to make a more eco friendly and sustainable bottle. What do you think of his design? Would you care if your Coke bottle didn’t look like a Coke bottle?
- Last week two awesome girls – Jordyn & Destinee – emailed me about a school project they had to do about their Celebrity Role Model. And they wanted to use ME as their subject! I was immensely flattered and it honestly made my week that they asked me. Well they finished the video and did their presentation today. Fingers crossed that they get an A+! Here is the video they made – thanks again ladies. You did a great job.